Friday, December 2, 2011

setting powders: bare minerals & make up for ever

I've actually been meaning to write this post for a long time. I started using setting powder about six months ago and it's been one of the best beauty product additions I've ever made to my routine! If you have oily skin I'd highly recommend applying a translucent finishing powder after applying your makeup to absorb and mask oil throughout the day. But even now that I have no oiliness at all (thanks to Accutane) I still wear it to keep my skin looking smooth and keep my make-up in place. It's especially great to use on days when I'm using cream products for a glowing look. With a light dusting, it keeps my face looking dewy and not shiny.

The big reason it took me so long to write this post is because I wanted to try both these brands' versions and recommend the one I thought worked best. Well, it's been six months of alternating using both of these and for the life of me, I can't pick a favorite. They work equally well at absorbing oil throughout the day. The bareMinerals Mineral Veil is more skin-toned in the packaging than the Make Up For Ever product (which appears bleach white in it's container) but neither altered the tone of my skin in the least or caused any irritation or blemishes. I did like that the bareMinerals finishing powder contained sun protection (SPF 20) but since my foundation and tinted moisturizer both do too, this is unnecessary for me. There is a $10 difference in cost, but the Make Up For Ever product contains .1 oz more, so you still pay almost the exact same price for the amount of product you're getting. Really, the only difference I experienced was that the bareMinerals powder was much easier to travel with. It has a plastic twist-turn feature that allows you to 'lock' the container to closed while the Make Up For Ever is just completely loose, with no plastic cover inside.

Do you use a setting powder? Have you tried either of these?

No comments:

Post a Comment